We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Sinusitis is considered one of the most common disorders that many turkeys suffer from. In veterinary medicine, the pathology is often called respiratory mycoplasmosis. In order to timely identify the symptoms of sinusitis in turkeys and choose a treatment, it is important to familiarize yourself with the clinical picture of the disease and know the sources of its occurrence. Medicines and folk recipes will help to cope with pathology.
Description of the disease
Respiratory mycoplasmosis, or sinusitis, is an infectious pathology to which special microorganisms lead. The causative agent of the disease is a cross between a virus and a bacterium. When in contact with the mucous membranes, pathogens rapidly spread in the body, provoking damage to the sinuses and respiratory tract. The key danger of the disease is that its symptoms can occur only 10 days after infection. During this time, the pathology is capable of affecting the bulk of the livestock.
Pathology is acute or chronic. To a greater extent, turkey poults aged from 2 weeks to 4 months suffer from it. The maximum number of cases of the disease occurs in autumn and winter, when the birds' immunity is weakened and the intake of vitamins into the body decreases.
Infection with mycoplasmosis is carried out by airborne droplets from an infected bird. Pathology can be spread through food, water, household items or tools. If the disease is detected in time, it can be successfully cured. In the absence of therapy, the threat of death is high.
Symptoms of the disease
Pathology is acute or chronic. Given the nature of the course of the disease, certain signs are present. In an acute course, there is an abundant discharge of mucus from the nose, swelling of the larynx, wheezing. When a chick develops sinusitis, its growth rate slows down significantly. With the development of mycoplasmosis, immunity is significantly weakened. Therefore, a turkey with such a diagnosis is more susceptible to respiratory viruses and bacterial infections.
In the chronic form of pathology, there is a risk of a significant decrease in productivity. At the same time, the birds practically do not increase their body weight and do not lay eggs. Since all products are contaminated, it is prohibited to use eggs for breeding. They are not fertilized and are not suitable for feeding. Young birds with sinusitis often die.
Pathogens and causes of appearance
The causative agent of mycoplasmosis is a microorganism that is a cross between a virus and a bacterium. Infection is carried out at the moment the pathogen enters the body and enters the mucous membranes of the respiratory system. After this, it multiplies, which provokes suppuration. As a result, microorganisms enter the systemic circulation. If this is not prevented, the pathology can become chronic. The causes of infection include:
- Weak immune system. Therefore, chicks and young birds are more susceptible to the disease.
- Stress factors.
- Constant drafts.
- Application of infected tools.
- Contact with infected birds.
- Lack of vitamins A and D.
- Infection of water and food.
- Using eggs from sick individuals.
Sinusitis is transmitted by airborne droplets. Therefore, the disease is characterized by rapid spread. If one bird is sick, the rest are also at risk. Therefore, the infected turkey should be separated from the rest.
Pathology is characterized by a wide range of symptoms. Therefore, it is very problematic to distinguish it from other ailments. Only a veterinarian can make an accurate diagnosis. First of all, it is recommended to distinguish sinusitis from aspergillosis, smallpox, pasteurellosis, vitamin deficiency.
Zarechny Maxim Valerievich
Agronomist with 12 years of experience. Our best summer cottage expert.
To diagnose mycoplasmosis, it is recommended to carefully monitor the symptoms of pathology. A laboratory test is also required. It will help detect the pathogen.
How to properly treat sinusitis in turkeys at home
It is important to consult your veterinarian for proper treatment of feathered sinusitis. The specialist will prescribe medications. In addition to such therapy, it is permissible to use folk recipes.
To cure the pathology, it is worth using antibiotics. It is recommended to inject them directly into the cleansed sinuses. If you do not have the skills, you will not be able to do without the help of a veterinarian. Violations in therapy can lead to an aggravation of the situation. Most often, with such a diagnosis, the following means are used:
- "Tylosin-200" - for the treatment of turkeys, it is recommended to mix 5 grams of the product with 10 liters of water and give the birds to drink for 5 days.
- "Farmazin-500" - to eliminate pathology, it is recommended to use 1 gram of the drug per 1 liter of water and give the solution to birds twice a day for 10 days.
Also, "Farmazin-500" can be injected into the sinuses. For this, use 2 milligrams of funds. The use of such substances has a powerful effect on the immune system, therefore they cannot be used independently.
Traditional methods and recipes
Treatment of the common cold with folk remedies does not produce the desired effect. To eliminate the disease, it is imperative to use antibiotics. At the same time, folk recipes help to strengthen immunity and increase resistance to pathologies. This helps to stimulate recovery.
For supportive treatment, it is worth using the following means:
- Infusion of berries and strawberry foliage. It helps to strengthen the immunity of birds, slightly reduces temperature parameters, and reduces nasal discharge. It is recommended to give this remedy to turkeys instead of water 3 times a day.
- Chamomile decoction. This substance successfully copes with the symptoms of inflammation in the nose, reduces swelling, and helps to strengthen the immune system. It should be given several times a day.
Infected birds pose a threat to the rest of the livestock. Therefore, sick individuals should be immediately separated from healthy ones. This helps to avoid the spread of infection and death of birds. Usually the duration of the quarantine is at least 3 weeks. At this time, the bird needs to provide optimal conditions:
- Create a ventilation system.
- Change bedding every day. The room should be frequently disinfected and wet cleaned.
- Give the birds plenty to drink. In this case, the water must be clean and at room temperature.
- Review nutrition. For the prevention of weakening of the immune system, it is recommended to use vitamins and minerals. Herbal decoctions are also suitable for this purpose - chamomile, wormwood, nettle.
- Control the room temperature. It should be kept at + 20-25 degrees. It is important to ensure that there are no drafts in the house.
It is much easier to prevent the development of pathology than to deal with its consequences. For prevention, it is worth taking a number of measures.
Compliance with temperature conditions
The temperature regime is selected taking into account the age of the birds:
- In the first 7 days of life, the room temperature should be + 32-34 degrees.
- On the 8-14th day, the temperature should be gradually reduced. It should be + 28-32 degrees.
- On days 15-21, the temperature parameters are set at + 26-28 degrees.
- From day 22, the temperature can be +18 degrees.
Conditions of detention
The conditions of detention are of great importance for the prevention of sinusitis. In this case, it is recommended to follow these rules:
- On 1 square meter there should be no more than 10 birds aged 8 weeks. For adult turkeys, their number should not exceed 3.
- It is strictly forbidden to keep turkeys with other species of birds.
- The litter needs to be changed every day.
- It is important to provide good ventilation. In this case, there should be no drafts.
A high-quality diet is also important. It must contain a sufficient amount of vitamins and minerals. For this, the birds should be given greens and fresh vegetables. It is recommended to include cereals in the menu - corn, wheat, oats. Also, the birds should be given legumes and root vegetables.
Cleaning and disinfection
Cleaning regularly will help prevent the spread of disease. If an infected bird has been identified, it is important to disinfect the area. For this, a solution of slaked lime or potassium permanganate is used. Sinusitis is a dangerous pathology that is very common among turkeys. To cope with the disease, it is worth using medicines. To improve the state of immunity, it is worth using folk recipes.